Developing a Strong Personal Foundation
The Personal Foundation Program is a self-paced personal development program for the
individual who wants more -- much more -- in life and understands the value of
investing in one's self by strengthening what we call one's Personal Foundation.
A Personal Foundation has 10 parts -- each distinct, yet interrelated,
forming a solid base on which to develop a most wonderful, satisfying and
fulfilling life. There is a 4-page worksheet available that is designed to be
used in conjunction with a 125-page Personal Foundation Program Workbook. Also,
the program requires work on several other programs, notably Clean Sweep, Tru
Values and NeedLess. All of these programs are available to my coaching
Please call me at (843) 427-7058 or click
here to send me an e-mail if you would like to learn more about developing a strong
Personal Foundation, or if you are interested in any of theses other related
The 10 areas that Personal Foundation program covers are:
A. Clearing Unresolved Matters
B. Restoring Your Integrity
C. Getting All of Your Needs Met
D. Extending Your Boundaries
E. Raising Your Personal Standards
F. Eliminating What You Are Tolerating
G. Coming from Positives
H. Resolving Key Family Relationships
I. Developing A Supportive Community
J. Re-orienting Around Your Tru Values
These ten areas are elaborated in more detail below.
A. CLEARING UNRESOLVED MATTERS
Past Experiences - what we did, didn't do, should have done,
did poorly or wrongly -- is always with us in some way. In this section, you get
clear with the past, doing what you can, and letting go of the rest. You are not
your past, yet may still be living as if you are.
WHEN CLEARING UNRESOLVED MATTERS WITH THE PAST, A PERSON
· Feels free of what they've done,
yet responsible for it all
· Can be with themselves, as they are today. No compensating.
· Is able to set their goals and reach them more easily
WHEN A PERSON DOESN'T CLEAR UNRESOLVED
· Continue to repeat it in
some new way.
· React to Unresolved Matters from the past instead
of flowing with life.
B. RESTORE INTEGRITY
To be our best, we must be whole: that is, be responsible for
our actions and inactions, respond fully to the lessons being offered to us,
honor our bodies and our selves and respect the realities of the physical
WHEN A PERSON IS "IN INTEGRITY:
· He/she experiences fewer
· Consistent feelings of peace, health and emotional balance are
· He/she reacts to others very little.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE IS "OUT OF INTEGRITY"
· Disturbances occur regularly.
· Others are blamed, criticized; one reacts a lot to others.
C. GET YOUR NEEDS MET
We know we all need air, water, shelter, love, food -- These
are our physical needs. But what about our Personal Needs? These are things we
must have to be ourselves, but somehow have not been able to get
"enough" of. Now, it is possible to do.
WHEN A PERSON IS GETTING THEIR NEEDS FULLY MET
· They have room and love for
other people; no competing.
· Dramatic sense of self-confidence without arrogance.
· Wants naturally decrease: No compulsions, musts.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE'S NEEDS ARE NOT MET
· Much time is wasted trying to
get needs partially met.
· One attracts needy people.
D. EXTEND BOUNDARIES
Boundaries are imaginary lines we establish around ourselves
to protect our souls, hearts and minds from the unhealthy or damaging behavior
of others. It is recommended to extend your boundaries at least two or three
times beyond where they are.
WHEN A PERSON HAS HEALTHY BOUNDARIES
· Fear diminishes significantly;
trust is rarely an issue.
· Willing, healthy family members & true friends respect these.
· They start growing more emotionally and developmentally.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE'S BOUNDARIES ARE WEAK
· They attract needy,
disrespectful people into their lives.
· The waste much energy to keeping life going.
E. RAISE STANDARDS
Personal Standards refer to the behavior and actions you are
willing to hold yourself to. You'll find as you work on areas A-D of the
Personal Foundation program that you'll much more easily expect (and enjoy) more
of yourself and of your behavior.
WHEN A PERSON HAS AND HONORS HIGH STANDARDS
· They feel very, very good about
themselves, and others, too.
· They become irresistibly attractive to high quality people.
· They don't get near people/situations which cause problems.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE'S STANDARDS ARE TOO LOW
· Continues to operate "below
the line" emotionally.
· Self-esteem drops; self-worth is questioned.
F. STOP TOLERATING
Humans tolerate a lot. Often, we're taught not to complain,
that life is difficult, not to rock the boat, to go along with others, to be
grateful for what we have, to be understanding. Not bad advice, but we can still
stop tolerating what is bugging us!
WHEN A PERSON HAS STOPPED TOLERATING
· They are happier, more fun to be
· They have extra energy to express their values vs their egos.
· They have the Edge: they overlook nothing.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE TOLERATES
· They and their work becomes
mediocre; people are tired.
· Natural creativity is squashed.
G. COME FROM POSITIVES
There is a wonderful feeling that comes from making the shift
from the problems in life to "getting" that life is pretty good. This
shift may take time, development and a high score on the Personal Foundation
program, but you'll get there! I promise!
WHEN A PERSON COMES FROM A POSITIVE PLACE IN LIFE
· They still live in reality, but
choose to live a better way.
· They create more positive things happening to them.
WHAT HAPPENS UNTIL ONE MAKES THIS SHIFT
· Nothing is good enough,
· Problems are attracted, like bees to honey.
H. STRENGTHEN FAMILY
Family, whether biological or chosen, is an important part of
our Personal Foundation. Why? Because we need to know we belong, that we are
loved, that we can afford to take risks in life because we know there are key
people behind and with us.
WHEN A PERSON HAS A STRONG FAMILY
· More needs are met,
· Values are expressed more often.
WHAT HAPPENS IF ONE DOESN'T HAVE A STRONG FAMILY
· One doubts oneself more often.
I. STRONG COMMUNITY
Nothing worth doing is worth doing alone. Given that, it helps
to have a strong personal and professional community; people you can share your
love, life, dreams and concerns with to a level of intimacy once reserved for
WHEN A PERSON HAS A STRONG COMMUNITY
· Well-rounded, well-connected,
reserve in case of trouble.
· Expands their personal and professional horizons.
· Moves in new, more rewarding directions.
WHAT HAPPENS IF ONE DOESN'T HAVE A COMMUNITY
· Relies excessively on family
members to meet needs.
· Misses out on opportunities for personal/professional growth.
J. RE-ORIENT ON VALUES
As you strengthen your Personal Foundation, you'll find
yourself having a lot more time, energy and space in your life. What to do with
this? Start fully expressing yourself by setting goals based on your Tru Values.
WHEN A PERSON ORIENTS AROUND THEIR VALUES
· Goal setting is easier and goals
reached more quickly.
· Their life purpose/vision comes to them clearly.
· Fewer distractions occur; life is simple, but
WHAT HAPPENS UNTIL ONE DOES THIS
· Frustrated in goals area;
lacking strong reference point in life.
· Goals, wants, ideas keep changing.
The phrase 'Personal Foundation
Program' is a trademark of CoachU, www.coachu.com.
The Personal Foundation Program is © 1999 Coach U, Inc. All rights reserved.
May not be duplicated, retransmitted or reproduced or used by anyone unless they
are in Coach U's Coach Training Program or an approved program.